The role of the Prince Edward Island College of Optometrists is to regulate the practice of optometry by promoting a high standard of oculo-visual care to protect the public’s welfare.
The functions performed by the Prince Edward Island College of Optometrists to achieve this are:
- Prescribing educational standards and proficiency qualifications required for licensure as an optometrist;
- Examining the qualifications, credentials, and competency of candidates applying for licensure as optometrists;
- Granting licenses to practice optometry;
- Keeping the official register of persons entitled to practice optometry;
- Governing the practice of optometry by adopting and promoting adherence to professional ethical guidelines and standards of quality practice;
- Receiving and investigating complaints against optometrists and disciplining optometrists in regard to professional competency and conduct.