All optometrists holding a license to practice in another Canadian jurisdiction can apply for licensure in Prince Edward Island assuming they are: 1) in good standing in the jurisdiction from which they are transferring; 2) have actively practiced 900 hours in the five years preceding the application or 450 hours in the three years preceding the application; and 3) have met the continuing professional development standards in the jurisdiction in which they were licensed in.
All optometrists holding a license to practice in another United States jurisdiction must meet the same requirements laid out above plus pass the Optometry Education Board of Canada exam..
All optometrists holding a license to practice outside of Canadian or United States jurisdictions, please see Foreign Trained Applicants section for instruction.
If the qualifications above are met, the following steps can be taken for license application.
- Fully complete the “Application form for transferring OD” including the signing of the declaration. Documents and items required for completion include:
- A letter of good standing from each jurisdiction in which you held a license.
- Three copies of the “Confidential Assessment Form” completed on your behalf by assessors of your choice.
- A recent photograph of yourself.
- Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) Criminal Record Synopsis to the PEICO. This must be dated within 6 months of the application date.
- A copy of a valid CPR certificate.
- Proof of professional liability insurance in the amount of at least $2 million dollars.
- Pay the application fee of $300 made payable to the Prince Edward Island College of Optometrists
- When all components of the application are received and approved by the PEICO, we will make arrangements with you to write the provincial jurisprudence examination. The fee for the examination is $200.
- Following successful completion of the jurisprudence examination, a license will be issued.
- Annual license fee is currently $1500 per year and will be prorated for the month’s remaining in the year from the time the license is issued.
- In addition to paying via a cheque, applicants can also pay via an EFT to this email address: [email protected]
The PEICO requests 2-4 weeks to process an application from the time all components are received.